In this episode of The Secret Life of Leaders, Tom White joins us to share his experience and knowledge in leading large-scale humanitarian programs in conflict zones. His interesting story of transforming lives and providing aid to vulnerable populations will definitely ignite a spark of inspiration. Join us as we unravel stories and secrets of impactful leadership in challenging environments.
In this episode:
- The story of how Tom landed his role as the Director of the United Nations Refugee Agency for Palestinian Refugees.
- Tom shares his passion about making an impact in the world, particularly in Gaza.
- The challenges of working in a complex environment.
- Encouraging signs of change in this environment and how their programs of work are helping people.
- How they maintain the balance of their long-term and short-term interventions.
- The biggest lessons Tom has learned working in this environment as an individual and a leader.
- The biggest wins across his career in humanitarian aid leadership over the last 20 years.
- Unhelpful assumptions that he would like to see addressed.
- How Tom stays passionate and inspired with leading an organization of 13,000 people.
- Advice for Emerging Humanitarian Leaders: Learn and Communicate Effectively
- Tips from Tom on how to keep your focus and improve self-leadership.
- Experiencing burnout in his role and how he overcame it.
- Reflecting on challenges in the world.